Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I am routinely tested for drugs/alcohol and had a recent

Customer Question

I am routinely tested for drugs/alcohol and had a recent drug test that came back positive for methamphetamines and alcohol - I take lamictal, zololoft, neurotin, and unisom - sometimes tramodol. I also use hand sanitizer all throughout the day. Is there any way any of these can cause the positive results? I do not drink at all or use any kind of illegal drugs.
Submitted: 1 year ago via AskDocWeb.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your positive drug test.

Well the alcohol is easily explained by the use of hand sanitizer, its possible that you contaminated the urine sample. If your hands had sanitizer on them when you were giving the sample, its possible that you transferred some of it into the urine sample thus causing the false positive for alcohol.

Now the methamphetamines positive result is a bit difficult to explain, as none of the drugs which you are on can cause a false positive result for metamphetamines, zoloft can cause false positive for benzodiazepines, unisom for PCP, lamictal for PCP but none of these can cause the methamphetamine false positive test result. However if you took tylenol or used some non prescription nasal spray in the couple of days preceding the test, that could cause a false positive reading. The drugs which are known to cause a false positive urine drug test for methamphetamines are the following,

• Antihistamines like bromipheniramine, phenylpropanolamine
  • Antidepressants like bupropion or trazodone
  • Drugs like ranitidine
  • Zyrtec
  • Tylenol in many formulations
  • Vicks inhalers
  • Sudafed
  • The list is quite extensive which mostly contains sinus medications etc

So it is possible that you used some OTC medication which could have caused your urine drug test to come back as false positive for amphetamines. The best solution would be to have the test done again after a couple of days and without using any OTC drug, which should show that you have nothing in your system. Try and remember if you had used any OTC medications before the test was done.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do use an off brand of a Vicks inhaler at night to help with my sinus - could this be the problem? Should I stop taking this all together.

Yes that could be the problem, and you should stop using that before getting a drug test done.Secondly before you give your urine sample, wash your hands thoroughly so that it doesnt have any traces of the hand sanitizer which can contaminate the sample.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the unisom be some of the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have actually stopped using the sanitizer and switched to wipes that do not contain alcohol- as suggested by my dr-would this help?

Wipes also contain alcohol , you should check to see what is present in the wipes that you are using. If there is anything which says that it contains ethanol or ethyl alcohol or any form of alcohol then you should still wash your hands before giving the sample.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

But if it doesnt contain alcohol and you are sure about that then YES it would help as well.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wipes contain a type of Benzene chloride.. Anything on the unisom?

Benzene chloride doesnt cause a false positive for metamphetamines, Unisom also doesnt cause a false positive for methamphetamines however it can cause a false positive for PCP and opioids.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have anymore questions? If done for now, Please leave a POSITIVE feedback rating as until you do, JA does not compensate me for my time. you can always ask follow up questions even after leaving the Positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the benzene chloride is safe to use?

Yes it is safe to use.

If done for now, Please leave a POSITIVE feedback rating as until you do, JA does not compensate me for my time. you can always ask follow up questions even after leaving the Positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried but it will not let me

Click on the STARS, preferably the 5th one which says excellent.

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you.

If done for now, Please leave a POSITIVE feedback rating as until you do, JA does not compensate me for my time. You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer

If done for now, Please leave a POSITIVE rating as until you do, i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow up questions after the rating as well.