Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My name is ***** ***** and i have issues with my ear i hear

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** and i have issues with my ear i hear noise constantly like a heartbeat rhythm or sometimes swooshing noise and the left one gets fliud in it alot especially when i lay down do u know why this is happening to me and wat can i do to get rest
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thats about all just very noisy and poppy all the time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes im at work so i might have to go but ill ry and wait\
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

This is called as tinnitus. Tinnitus is a perception of sound in proximity to the head in the absence of an external source. An heat beat sound is called as pulsatile tinnitus. Arterial vessels near the temporal bone may transmit sounds associated with turbulent blood flow, especially if the loudness of the sound exceeds the hearing threshold in that ear. This may be responsible in your case of pulsatile tinnitus. The petrous carotid system is the most common source, although other arteries may also be involved.

The other causes for it are anemia (decreased hemoglobin), thyroid hormone imbalance, aberrant internal carotid artery , High jugular bulb, glomus lesions etc. You need to visit an ENT doctor to get yourself examined and investigated by complete blood workup, Pure tone and brain stem evoked response audiometry, MRI & MRA, thyroid function tests etc.

This is not itself a serious condition, although an evaluation for underlying atherosclerotic disease, should be done by otolaryngologist or neurotologist. Following investigations may also be required later on; an MRI with contrast initially, followed by CT/CT angiography and subsequent interventional angiography if necessary.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom of some underlying health problem, usually in the ear, which would need physical examination and investigations to find out the cause.

Following are the common causes;

1) Exposure to persistent loud noise.

2) Ménière's disease.

3) Ear wax

4) Eustachian tube dysfunction

5) Environmental allergy

6) Blood pressure fluctuations

7) Diabetes and thyroid conditions

8) Medications are an extremely common cause of tinnitus

If you are taking any anti-inflammatory analgesics for any kind of pain like toothache, they should be stopped. All aspirin-containing products and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued. Supplements like vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, with magnesium, zinc, or copper are suppose to help.

Ideally an examination by a physician or ENT specialist should be done for ascertaining the cause and further management.

Investigations done for the tinnitus are;

1) Audiometric evaluation

2) A complete blood cell count, an autoimmune panel (ANA, sedimentation rate, rheumatoid factor), and thyroid function tests.

3) MRI of the brain and internal auditory canals.

4) MR angiographic scanning; in this a dye is injected and looks at the blood vessels of the brain (as defects in them may be causative for this sound).

Treatment for tinnitus includes correcting identified comorbidities, as well as directly addressing the effects of tinnitus on quality of life.

1) supplementation with vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, or with magnesium, zinc, or copper.

2) clonazepam 0.5 mg at bedtime has been suggested. Another suggested medication has been alprazolam.

3) Tinnitus masking; Many people do not notice tinnitus if there is some background noise in the room.

a) may turn an FM radio

b) opt to purchase sound generators (like producing the sound of ocean waves).

c) specific tinnitus-masking devices are also marketed.

4) Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) involves retraining the subconscious part of the auditory system to accept the sounds associated with tinnitus as normal, natural sounds rather than annoying sounds. The goal is for the person to become unaware of their tinnitus.

5) Biofeedback and stress reduction - Biofeedback is a relaxation technique that teaches a person to control certain body functions, such as heart and breathing rate. Biofeedback may help to manage tinnitus-related distress by changing their reaction to it. One may experience relief of tinnitus symptoms once they are able to stop thinking of their tinnitus as bothersome or stressful.

6) Herbal remedies - Combinations of herbs (also called botanicals) Ginkgo biloba and melatonin are suppose to be slightly beneficial in treating tinnitus.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Hope this information has been helpful. A positive rating would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year 2016.