How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 45989
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a pain in the area just under the rib cage /top

Customer Question

I have had a pain in the area just under the rib cage /top of the stomach. I can only eat a little bit at a time because it feels as if something will push through my skin, The top of my stomach gets real hard and there is a small bulge mostly on the left side. It has come and gone all year. I was getting heart burn but now it is the ultimate pain. No stretching lifting and laying or sitting is difficult. No cough no cold. Having regular BM and urinating just fine. The pain is awful...I am not really wanting to take the time off to see doc. I have had to lower hernias in the low abdomen on both sides. It burns and hurts and I'm afraid that it could possibly be this again...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you have severe gastritis inflammation of your stomach most likely from excessive stomach acid and poor diet choices.

alcohol, spicy foods, oily foods, tomato sauces, sodas, fried foods, large meals can cause worse stomach acid production and gastritis and acid reflux.

there are over the counter stomach acid lowering medications such as prilosec, nexium 20mg and maalox and mylanta and zantac which can help decrease stomach acid.

you need to avoid the foods listed above and avoid alcohol as well.

you do need to see a doctor about this severe acid in your stomach. you can see a doctor at the ER or urgent care center quickly

they can do a CT scan of your abdomen to check for hernias as well

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be fine if I didn't eat healthy. For dinner I eat 1 chicken breast with a vegetable and a potato or a lot of grilled foods. If we eat a fried breakfast I have learned using a diamond coated skillet allows me to use little or no oil. I try to stay away from fast food, but do eat at a restaurant . I like to drink milk and do have a soda once a day at least... spaghetti maybe once a month and pizza too.. I am going to see doc to see what else it can be. If the pain wasn't there all the time I could agree.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

how old are you?

you could have a stomach ulcer

or even H Pylori infection in the stomach which can cause inflammation of your stomach.

H Pylori can be tested for with blood antibody testing or stool antigen testing.

do you have a doctor you can see who can test for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

ask your doctor for some testing of your stomach and checks for H pylori infection

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using