Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Noticed that Purepac was bought by Actavis. Up until last

Customer Question
Hi noticed that Purepac was...
Hi noticed that Purepac was bought by Actavis. Up until last month I was receiving Yellow Purepac 2mg Alprazolam tablets from Walgreens. Now they say its been discontinued, and offer a white Actavis in its place. the Actavis brand is not nearly as effective. Are their still yellow P 039 tablets available from Actavis?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
10/26/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The yellow Alprazolam has been discontinued and is replaced by the white tablets. But yellow one may be available at some of the pharmacies till the stock lasts. The ingredients are same so these should be equally effective. Only the coloring agent which is an inactive ingradient differs and that should not make a difference.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The best way to deal with panic is a comprehensive approach. It can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are internet based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring yourself that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response. Alprazolam (Xanax) has been widely used for panic disorder, but it is currently discouraged because of its higher dependence potential. Ideally Xanax should be tapered off very gradually in 3-4 weeks time, so a precipitation or rebound panic attack is avoided. CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as panic, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences.Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve panic symptoms and prevent recurrences.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you, ***** ***** looking into alternative methods to manage. However, having switched from Purepac yellow tablets to Actavis White Tablets ( Actavis Bought Purepac), I have noticed a significant differencein the white Actavis, they simply don't work as well. I have read similar comments all over the internet from others with this prescription. I have even called Actavis, and am expecting a call back regarding the chemical makeup difference. If there are so many responses from patients saying the yellow Purepac is stronger, it may not be coincidence..or a matter of a simple coloring agent. I plan to switch to a different manufacturer, I hear Greenstone and Sandoz offer a quality generic. Have you heard the same? Thank You.

You are very welcome.

The efficacy may occasionally be affected by the inactive ingredient like coloring agent. So your experience of less efficacy may be right.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know, if I can do anything further for you.

Please do not forget to rate the interaction.

Regards,

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)