How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 46377
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband, who is 48 years old, has early stages of

Customer Question

Hi Dr Mark. My husband, who is 48 years old, has early stages of non-alcohol related cirrhosis. His recent bloodwork is especially concerning to me. His WBC is 2.5, RBC is 3.47, hemoglobin is 9.8, hematocrit is 33.4, RDW is 62.8. What is most concerning is his overall platelet count. It is critically low at 41. In the past he has had some banding done in endoscopies to keep cirrhosis from progressing. He's not had this done in over 8 months, and just had blood work done last week. He has next endoscopy scheduled for 4 weeks from now. Is there something that we should be prepared for when he has this next procedure done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

he needs to consult with a hematologist to check his bone marrow.

the bone marrow is what makes his platelets

his spleen needs to be checked as well to see if it is enlarged. an enlarged spleen sometimes can sequester or steal away platelets out of the blood stream

he should consult with a hematologist about his low platelet and low WBC counts.

let me know if you have questions.