How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35063
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For about 2 years now and is getting worse, my husband aches

Customer Question

For about 2 years now and is getting worse, my husband aches 4-5 days out of the week. We have gone to an internist. She thought it was thyroid. His blood tests just came back and she said everything came back fine. His arms, legs, shoulders all ache severely. My daughter has many of the same symptoms and we have tried for 6 years to get her relief... still no one has helped.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

What did his autoimmune panel show (tests like RA factor, ANA, CRP etc)? Were they done?

Has he seen any other specialist or sought referral to clinical immunologist etc?

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.


I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

It seems that you are offline so you did not see the earlier information request. I am writing you the initial answer and you may ask follow up questions, if any.

Your husband's symptoms should be evaluated for an autoimmune disorder like polymyositis. The specialist to consult would be a rheumatologist. The helpful investigations would be;

1) Complete blood count,

2) Erythrocyte sedimentation rate,

3) Parathyroid hormone assay,

4) Muscle enzymes;

5) Anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA)

6) Adrenal function test

7) Anti-dsDNA

8) Anti-Sm

9) Anti-SSA (Ro) or Anti-SSB (La)

10) Coombs test

11) Anti-histone

12) Serum calcium

13) Liver function tests

14) Kidney function tests

15) Parathyroid nuclear scan.

These should be able to give the diagnosis. Fibromyalgia is uncommon in females. But if all of these investigations are normal. this may also be the diagnostic consideration. His doctor may also look for;

1) Drugs and herbs if he is on any as the culprit.

2) Alcohol, if he drinks regularly

3) Vitamin deficiency by getting blood tests for B1, B6, B12.

4) His doctor may also get the free T3 and free T4 done if not already which many times may give diagnosis of hidden thyroid abnormalities which may not be revealed by routine thyroid function tests.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Your daughter may have similar issue so she also may need to be investigated on the same lines if not yet done. In females fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are far commoner.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hope you and your husband are doing great.

Let me know if I can do anything further.