Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My 7 yr old son was saying the last few days his left ear

Customer Question
hurt a little and this...
My 7 yr old son was saying the last few days his left ear hurt a little and this morning when 4 he held his nose a blew you could hear air come from his ear. What is this and what do we need to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
10/20/2015
Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

it sounds like he could have had an inner ear infection and now a possible ruptured ear drum

you should bring him to the pediatrician or the local ER or urgent care center

have a doctor look inside of his ear with an otoscope

check for inner or external ear canal infections.

he might need a course of antibiotics to help clear up an infection.

the ruptured ear drum will scar over and heal up on its own.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

He just went to the doctor last Tues and was put on a Zack and steroid for allergies stuff. Does he need more antibiotics then? The doctor looked in his ear but never said anything

no, he doesn't need any more antibiotics, the z pack should be fine.

he should follow up with a pediatrician to look in his ear in 1-3 months to make sure everything is healing up properly in his ear drum.

I dropped a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in his ear then had him flip over and drain it. Then he held his nose again and u could hear the air. I thought maybe junk was in his ear. He finished his Zack Sat

I would not use any more hydrogen peroxide in the ear. this is very irritating and could cause more problems.

So what causes this ear drum rupture? I assume his ear was fine a week ago. He just started complaining Saturday. He said at recess yesterday he was laughing so hard it popped and felt better for a bit. Like he could hear clear again

an inner ear infection with fluid and pressure build up can cause an ear drum to rupture.

bad sinus congestion can cause increased pressure.

laughing really hard if he was congested and had fluid in his ear can cause an ear drum rupture.

At that time he has been all dried up. Is it possible the doctor couldn't see the infection a week ago

I don't know what the doctor saw a week ago.

Is this a coom on thing for ear drums to rupture? It sounds really bad. Do you recommend anything to help it heal

yes, it is a common thing for children to have ruptured ear drums.

his body will heal on its own.

don't put any more ear drops or hydrogen peroxide into his ears

please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Whay symptoms do I look for to know if it's getting better or worse

fever over 101F, fluid discharge from his ear, ear pain, pus from the ear canal, sinus congestion, lethargy, lack of appetite, dizziness, headaches are signs an infection could be back and getting worse.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Is there anything we can do to protect his ear while bathing? How long does it take to heal

you can put a small piece of cotton in his ear to keep water from going in.

it can take 4-8 weeks to heal up the ear drum.

And you don't think he needs to go in and have it checked since he finished the z pack Sat

no, but he needs a follow up appointment in 1-3 months with his pediatrician.

Can it heal wrong? How is that? Wouldn't the hole just scab over kinda and be fine? Is it common for there to be issues of it healing wrong? Also the school does a hearing and vision screening next week. Does this rupture eardrum effect his hearing?

chances are it won't heal incorrectly.

chances are that the ear drum will heal up fine.

What about his hearing test

yes, he can get hearing tests in the future.

No do you think he will have problems with the hearing test at school next week since it will be healing

no, I don't think he should have hearing problems.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)