Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

It is ***** *****. I am looking for information on bursts of

Customer Question
Customer: Hi - It is...
Customer: Hi - It is ***** *****. I am looking for information on bursts of rhythmic focal slowing in the right and left temporal lobes for my 16 yr old. He has history of absence seizures since age 8. Those have subsided, but EEG is difficult to interpret.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: At his worse, he was having 100 absence seizures a day. After 1 1/2 years, we finally had sz control with Depakote. Took him off as per Dr after 1 1/2 years, but they returned. Soon after, new symptoms presented like partial seizures - confusion, tingling down one side of body, felt like all of his memory was wiped out and he is losing his mind. The only findings on the EEGs were 1. Bursts of intermittent temporal slowing lasting 1-10 seconds in the right/bitemporal/left temporal region during wakefulness and 2. Bursts of intermittent right and left rhythmic temporal slowing, 1-4 seconds, mostly right more that left. He tends to zone out but, he has issues with attention, anxiety, depression and some learning issues. There's so much - what else would be helpful to you?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
10/20/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

What did his MRI show?

His last one was done w/o contrast about 2 yrs ago and was fine.

Sorry for the delay. I had to rush to perform an emergency surgery, so I could not respond you earlier. I apologize for your wait.

The EEG abnormalities you mentioned can be due to following causes;

1) may not be pathological / may not be associated with a disease process. These are considered as psychomotor variant.

2) temporal lobe epilepsy. Abnormal slow activity is by far the most common EEG manifestation of focal brain dysfunction and is known to be associated with epilepsy.

3) rarely it can be associated with cerebrovascular disorder which in will warrant an MRA (magnetic resonance angiography) for ruling it out. Focal slowing is the most common abnormality associated with focal lesions of any type, like neoplastic, vascular, injury and infectious. It occasionally may be seen in mesiotemporal sclerosis or focal malformations of cortical development.

EEG is a test of cerebral function; hence, for the most part it is nonspecific as to ascertain the exact cause. He would need following investigations to ascertain the cause of his epilepsy and these wave form abnormalities'

1) Epilepsy protocol MRI.

2) MRI of the temporal lobe

3) MRI of malformations of cortical development.

4) SPECT scanning (Single-Photon Emission Computerized Tomography Scanning)

5) Functional MRI.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)