Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Its your buddy here. Kind of freaking out a little here.

Customer Question
Hey Doc so Its your...
Hey Doc so Its your buddy here. Kind of freaking out a little here. Just had the weirdest thing to happen to me. I was kind of taking a nap then saw the time and tried to get up. I stood up for a few seconds checked my phone then I began to get a ill feeling in the pitt of my stomach, then I began to get woozy and I guess light headed and very heavy like I was going to pass out. I stumbled/walked over to my sofa to try to lay down and kick my legs up. At this point I broke out in a bad sweat and could ringing in my ears. It seemed to go get better after a min after that but the noise in my ear seemed to say longer, like a hum. Still kind of there may be gone now. What the heck just happened to me. I barely cant type im shaking so bad from that( as in freaking out.) I think something similar happened after I had my surgery when I was removing bandages I remember the doc said if I ever feel light headed to kick me feet up. Seemed to work What the heck happened?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
10/18/2015
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

This isn't Dr.Chip but Dr.Bray ...he has not picked up your question for a while now so I thought I would respond to your concern. I will be happy to opt out of you want to wait for Dr. Chip. ..just let me know!!

It sounds to me that your symptoms were induced by the nausea ....nausea causes what we call a vagal response. The vagal response may lower your pulse rate and blood pressure . so dizziness is common. A vasovagal response is the most common cause of a common faint. I think the feeling light headed and woozy and the sweats were caused by the vagal response . less common but I suspect the transient ringing in the ears was related. If you had some stomach irritation that is most common cause of nausea ...

So I would watch your stomach for further signs of possible trouble going forward ....you may want to be more cautious as to what you eat and drink going forward into next week for example (watch out for alcohol or coffee or hot spicy or acidic foods )

I hope that this makes sense and us helpful for you. Let me know If I may be of further help. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Well I have had ongoing gut/stomach issues for the past two years. The surgery I was referring to was my galbladder removal. So I am very common to stomach issues/ins. However my gut has been for the most part fine and hasn't really bothered me other than the usual. That was the first time that has happened that I can remember. The only other time may have been in the shower when I was a teenager. I should prob mention I have very bad anxiety so this really freaked me out.

Hello again,

well the symptoms that you describe do sound to be a vaso-vagal response. The most common reason is nausea but psychological shock can also have similar effect. (I had a healthy 18 year old boy in my office one time having his blood drawn and he passed out and slumped out of chair to floor!!) That is what a vaso-vagal response can do!

Without knowing what other factor MIGHT cause that I look for nausea as the most common culprit!

Anxiety can cause this as well >> especially a panic attack could do this...

I hope this is helpful to give you insight on what may have occurred with you!

Let me know if you have further details or questions or concerns> I will be happy to get back with you! Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Well I was saying anxiety isnt helping since this happened. But I do know one thing because of my anxiety I am prob going to feel like I am nauseous again when Im not. So this doesn't sound like anything serious? Its just so weird it happened it came on like that like mear seconds after standing up. Did I maybe get up to fast? It def felt like my blood pressure dropped. Im willing to bet thats the feeling I was was feeling. It just started with the feeling in my gut then came one after another. Gut, dizzy,heavy, stumbling, sweating,ringing. Then died down after laying down sort of. Ringing was last to go.

Hello again,

No it does not sound serious. It sounds that it was more transient from what I gather..

Standing up fast can certainly start such a feeling as what you describe, yes to that !

It sounds that you appropriately sat and lied back down whaich was the right thing to do. It sounds that the troubling symptoms passed. Let me know if that is not the case.

From what we have discussed though it sounds to be of a transient type nature. I think that it fits with a vaso-vagal event..

You suddenly get up and the blood pressure to the head drops >> you probably came somewhat near a faint but not quite.. there not being any ongoing problem should allow you to recover fully without further problem...

On the other hand if you should have other concerning symptoms then increase the care that you take and take appropriate steps such as getting checked...

Let me know if I may be of further help! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Yes all of the symptoms seemed to have gone. Now that does not mean that I may feel some nausea, but that may be in my head since thats what started it all. My anxiety is very complex lol. It makes me feel like I am so weird if I read or hear something I will feel lik those symptoms are happening to me.

Hello again,

I see, so it sounds that you carry a fair degree of health anxiety. Anxiety may also cause such symptoms. (The 18 year old perfectly healthy young man for example.. fainted due to an anxiety reaction..) So I include discussing nausea as the most common inciting symptom of the vagal response but other factors may also trigger this...

So it really sounds that you had a VAGAL response for some reason. I can't tell you exactly the why...

I hope that this helps and makes sense. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion or concerns. Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD

Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hey Jay--just got back on but only for a sec--if you need to get back to me here tomorrow

Oh hey...doc well you can see what I typed thoughts?

How are you feeling now?

Fine I was fine shortly after. It literally lasted about 5 min top. The event itself was like 2 min max.

I agree with Dr Bray about the vasovagal reaction--same thing happens when someone who can stand the sight of blood sees blood and nearly faints.

Nothing really to worry about

it's normal for that to just randomly happen like that at times?

Yes and I've had it happen to me

Ok I mean I believe it's happened to me twice to as well. One after the surgery when I think I saw the blood from my stitches and got light headed but that wasn't as bad as this one. The other when I was in the shower as a teenager just randomly it was about 15 years ago but if I remember correctly that one started with the Pitt of the stomach as well. That was more like what happened yesterday. Any thoughts on why I may have had the ear ringing?

That's just part of the vasovagal response sometimes

Got ya, ok I thought it may have been related to a issue I have been having the past few weeks where sometimes if I move my eyes fast I feel like my balance or something may be off or get dizzy. The thing is knowing me I'm not sure if it's actually an issue or I'm making it up. I had something like that happen back in like 2010 and 2011, and it was due to my lack of sleep from apnea. I think it was a little worst then though because my balance would be off sometimes also. That hasn't been really happening here. The funny thing is it kind of all started after
My sister said she was getting bad headaches. She got a scan they saw a mass on her putitary gland. Turns out it was nothing but after I found that out its been happening since. So it makes me wonder if I'm making it worst than it is. Or maybe it still caused by my nose congestion. YES it's still here however it's not as bad at all! The cough is very rare now thank god but it's still there. However I'm still
Slightly congested esp in the AM. The nasel spray seems to be working though. I feel like I'm not as congested I have been using it once a day now.

Anything more we need to talk about?

Does any of that sound related or is that in my head?

I think that's just in your head

If there's nothing more Jay we need to close this page

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)