Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Just received lab results for EBV. Antigen Ab, ab VCA and

Customer Question
Just received lab results for...
Just received lab results for EBV. Antigen Ab, ab VCA and Nuclear Antigen Ab are all HIGH. What is this test for and what does it mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
10/2/2015
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Results reflect mononucleosis. It would seem would seem that you have acute case of mononucleosis

This is a slow illness. Sore throat is most common. You may have tender lymph nodes and aches and fatigue. No antibiotic is available for this vital illness. It is aggravating all the same but not one that is dangerous.

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

nope. no sore throat, fever, any symptoms. Not even a sneeze or cough. Haven't had a cold or flu in 10 years. Abs. CD8-CD57+ Lymps was low at 24 (60-360/uL), as well as Lyme IgG P41 Ab showing Present Abnormal.The EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG is 46.8 HIGH ( 0.0-8.9 U/mL)EBV Ab VCA, IgG 318.0 HIGH (0.0-17.9 U/mL)EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG. 125.0. HIGH (0.0-17.9 U/mL)Diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidsim 15 yrs ago and recently switched to 2 grains Nature Thyoid in April with a Naturopath since family dr would not run a full thyroid screen. Can't get into my Naturopath for awhile. How does Hashimoto's Hypothyroidsim play a role in these other tests being High/Low? I also tested low on Heavy Metal Toxins.Next step??

Hello again,

OK the clinical history and the details of your tests are helpful. It is IgM type antibodies that are more reflective of an ongoing or recent infection with mono. IgG antibodies on the other hand are going to remain positive but tend to drift downward over time. The early antigen antibody being present is still suspicious but alone this IgG result is not conclusive. It would be helpful to see IgM results as part of this panel...

Positive Lyme antibody is also of potential concern. We prefer to see confirmatory testing with Lyme's disease and past infection could explain. I don't know what context to place that result in... (acute Lyme's infection is readily treated with antibiotics but it may also be missed for long periods of time and also there are potential problems with a secondary post-infection autoimmune response that has potential to cause problems as well with that...

Hashimoto's of course is an autoimmune disease against your own thyroid tissue and long tern tends to "burn out" the thyroid tissue leaving you with the hypothyroid state. So you as you indicate need thyroid hormone replacement to make up for what you body does not make.There are two hormones that are produced by the thyroid > T3 and T4 > one way or another these hormones must be replaced . The TSH is the controlling hormone of the thyroid gland from the pituitary. It serves a regulatory function. Technically 0.4 to 4.5 is normal range for TSH (=Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) but you want to be on the lower aspect of the scale for normal function... A full panel may include measures of both T3 and T$ hormones as wwell but TSH remains the MOST SENSITIVE .. the others may still be in normal range but the TSH when HIGH is indicating that you are not getting enough of the thyroid hormone in your system.

The thyroid being LOW may cause you to have a wide range of symptoms and may include fatigue, increased sleep requirement, hair loss, dry skin, low reflexes on exam, slower trend of pulse rate, lower trend of body temperature, feeling "cold natured" , tendancy possible to weight gain...

It is not known for making you have low lymphocyte counts...

Hypothyroidism would not affect the infection titer screens that you had...

Next step I would want to see a general CBC ( complete blood count result) and I agree with the more complete thyroid panel... history of possible past tick exposure and possible rash symptoms and antibiotic history may be helpful to determine if further Lyme's targeted testing is needed...

I would want to include a IgM based EBV (mono) titer as well as follow up on this as it is possible that you could have a chronic active form of mononucleosis as well.(Mono chronically could affect blood counts and liver and spleen... )

I hope that this information is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions or discussion. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray MD provides a through and detailed explanation of recent labs. Great service for answers when you can't get into your Dr in a timely fashion.I would recommend this service if you want answers to your medical questions, especially if you have a family physician who doesn't explain the fine details!Thank you!

Hello again,

Thank you for the kind remarks. There is a way to "ACCEPT" a question so that I get credit and paid for my efforts. That process should be clear from your side as in pressing a feedback button...(usually green I think.. excellent preferred)... that is what we mean with the request for positive feedback. Thank you again. Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor