Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I was just diagnosed with a hemorraghic ovarian cyst and am

Customer Question
very scared.I was having some...
I was just diagnosed with a hemorraghic ovarian cyst and am very scared.I was having some spotting mid-cycle for the past few months and ent to have that checked out. This s when the doctor discovered a cyst via ultrasound. We are taking a wait and see approach and I will return to the doctor for follow up ultrasound in 7 weeks. I've een having spotting for e past few days. My doctor wants m on birth control but I am also trying to get pregnant. My questions are:
1. Do most hemorraghic cysts disappear on their own?
2. Is it possible to get pregnant with this type of cyst?
3. If the doctor said to return in 6-8 weeks does that mean she considered the cyst small enough that she doesn't believe it will rupture in he near future?
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
10/1/2015
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Each month you have a set of follicles develop. One generally is predominant and forms the hormones that control your menstrual cycle and produces a viable egg which has potential to be fertilized . the follicle gets to the edge of the ovary and ruptured to release it and then it may allow the egg to travel to the fallopian tube. The rupture of this type of cyst may causecttpucally a small amount of internal bleeding. This is a normal type process.

Make sure that your doctor is aware that you are trying to conceive!! The management will be expected to be different!

Having ovarian cysts and that these at time hemorrhage a normal phenomenon!

The use of birth control pills suppress the development of cysts and follicle development. That is fine if you are not actively trying to get pregnant! When you are trying to conceive though this will likely alter the management.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.I hope that this helps to put this event into perspective. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Thank you for your response. I am trying to conceive and therefor do not want to begin taking birth control pills. Even if I wasn't trying to conceive, I generally prefer taking a more homeopathic approach to my medical issues. My next question is twofold:1. If the cyst has not decreased in size or has gotten larger by the time of my follow up appointment, are there alternative treatment options to birth control pills?2. Are there any diet/lifestyle changes I can make to aid in reducing the size or dissolving the cyst?Thanks!

Hello!

It can depend on the specifics of your findings. Most ovarian cysts are transient in nature and resolve on their own. Some cysts can enlarge too much and may get over sized . At times very large cysts and complex appearing cysts can develop and at times a may need surgery even. So it is far from being able to say that all of these are the same. Most by far are part of the natural reproductive cycle!

So chances are that your cyst more likely falls into the common and harmless type. They may bleed some and can at times may cause pain. These facts alone would not necessarily mean that you need intervention.

Now there are women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome ) If you had that then medical treatment may be needed that condition may benefit from weight loss often. It may benefit from metformin which helps to control the problem and would not impair fertility. Birth control methods does temporarily impair your fertility however if course .

Now I am NOT saying that you have PCOS --- you have not indicated any information to indicate this problem.

Your history more suggests a simple cyst which hemorrhage and caused some pain I would expect .

So if that is the case then it clears up on its own and your body takes care of it....

Also on the extreme could be very large or complex apperaring cysts . There are cases that could be a concern for ovarian cancer as a potential concern. I have NO REASON TO THINK THAT YOU FALL INTO this extreme either !! ( (so remain calm here!!)

There is just a range as to the nature of the problem of an ovarian cyst

I hope to help you place your own situation in the proper perspective . I expect that your body would resorb the cyst as this is normally the case . I have no reason to think this to be a larger scale problem or anything that would impair your fertility .

I hope that this makes senses and is helpful .Time is the main thing that is probably needed in your case .Make it clear to your doctor that you are at a point of trying to conceive. That is a vital detail to the management of your case !!

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.Please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor