The muscle contractions you feel is muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch. Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter may need following investigations;
1) electromyography (EMG)
2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)
3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc
4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests
5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile
The common causes can be;
1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.
2) Increased caffeine intake
3) Increased alcohol intake
5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals
6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Wishing you all the very best in life.