Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am a physician and have been on 8 mg Dilaudid and 20 mg

Customer Question

I am a physician and have been on 8 mg Dilaudid and 20 mg Baclofen qid for a chronic back pain after spinal fusion C5-T4. The baclofen has been causing me fatigue and cognitive problems that concern the other members of my group. I was told not to return to work until I am off the baclofen but given no instructions on how to taper and I read that the withdrawal symptoms are bad
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. If I were your personal physician I would taper you very slowly--three times a day for two weeks, then twice a day for two weeks then daily for two weeks and the stop. That would give you the best chance for avoiding any significant withdrawal symptoms.

That said, ethically I need to say that this kind of tapering should be under the direct supervision of a physician

Let me know if you need to discuss this further please