Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have IBS and I'm used to lower abdominal pain but now my

Customer Question

I have IBS and I'm used to lower abdominal pain but now my stomach feels like I've been punched in it and it occasionally makes a pinging sound.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Is your pain now more mid upper abdomen now?

Do you have nausea?

Do you feel bloated?

With the change that you have noticed I think one possibility could be more of a stomach irritation such as an ulcer or gastritis. If you had certain problems such as possible partial small bowel obstruction then you could have dilated loops of bowel proximal to the possible obstruction. This could cause progressive pain ,nausea ,vomiting....

If you should have some RED FLAG symptoms then you may need more immediate medical attention.Abdominal pain too intense to allow sleep---abdominal pain plus fever --- lower GI bleeding (Frank blood or black tarry stool) >>these would be signs that you need to go to ER...

I think the change warrants you to be examined by your primary care doctor. If gastric (ulcer or gastritis ) then you may benefit to start an acid reducing medication (ex--Nexium,Prevacid, Prilosec)--bland type diet ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.IF my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD