Dr Brandon Smith
Dr Brandon Smith,
Experience:  Owner/Doctor at Smith Chiropractic & Wellness
86333546

What are natural/ alternate methods for adhd?

Customer Question

What are natural/ alternate methods for adhd ?
Category: Health
Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

Hi, there. I am happy to assist with this. Can you tell me a bit more about when you would prefer this to be completed, and assignment parameters? Are you looking for research only on this subject, an outline of the topic, or a model? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically I do have adhd. I am a 30 year old male adult.
I have tried natural methods like acupuncture, ginkgo, meditation and hypnosis. They didn't seem to have worked.
I wonder what natural methods seem to be considered the best ones
Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

Okay--thanks for the clarification! I feel your pain. I, as well as just about everyone in my family, has ADHD or ADD. I will find some excellent sources of information and natural/alternate methods for you. I am working on a couple of other assignments currently, so there will be just a bit of time lag before I get to this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. Thanks
Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

I am going to begin answering this, and may add to it as I find additional research. I hope you find some of these helpful...I would encourage you to try different remedies on an individual basis, and perhaps journal as quantitatively as possible any changes you might experience.

1) This first I can attest to, through eliminating food coloring in food with my 4 yr-old. I have noticed, when I am careful about it, DRASTICALLY less spastic behaviors. He also complains less about stomach pains, which I have heard are linked to food coloring, as well. Be warned: food coloring is in EVERYTHING. You'll have to be very vigilant. It's very worth it, though. The Mayo Clinic notes that certain food colorings and preservatives may increase hyperactive behavior in some children. Avoid foods with these colorings and preservatives:

• sodium benzoate
  • FD&C Yellow No. 6 (sunset yellow)
  • D&C Yellow No. 10 (quinoline yellow)
  • FD&C Yellow No. 5 (tartrazine)
  • FD&C Red No. 40 (allura red)
Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

2) Diet is huge. One thing (other than food coloring) to work on controlling are potential allergens. Again, test for one at a time so you can rule them out.

Diets that restrict possible allergens may help improve behavior in some people with ADHD. You can experiment by avoiding these foods:

• chemical additives/preservatives like BHT and BHA
  • milk and eggs
  • chocolate
  • foods containing “salicylates” like berries, chili powder, apples and cider, grapes, oranges, peaches, plums, prunes, and tomatoes
Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

3) Massage is relaxing. But it may be more than that for those with ADHD. A 2003 study published in the journal Adolescence examined the effects of massage on mood and behavior. Students with ADHD who received massage therapy for 20 minutes twice a week over the course of a month experienced improved mood in the short term and improved classroom behavior in the longer term.

Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

4) (These are geared toward parents with kids, but obviously appropriate for anyone.)

Some small studies indicate that yoga may be helpful for people with ADHD. Research published in 2013 reported significant improvements in hyperactivity, anxiety, and social problems in boys with ADHD who practiced yoga regularly.

Some early studies suggest that tai chi also may help improve ADHD symptoms. Researchers found that teenagers with ADHD who practiced tai chi weren’t as anxious or hyperactive. They also daydreamed less and displayed fewer inappropriate emotions when they participated in tai chi classes twice a week for five weeks.

Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

5) (Again, geared toward parents of kids, but effective for all). I have heard excellent things about essential oils in conjunction with ADD and ADHD. This link has a video explanation, as well as a plethora of information. There are many brands...the one that I would most strongly recommend is Young Living.

http://essentialoilnow.com/adhd/

Expert:  hintonrae replied 2 years ago.

Hope these help...I will let you know if I discover more natural methods. :)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the answer!!!
As far as therapy goes is there any specific therapist who is famous for his sucessful use of hypnosis, nlp or something similar?Thnaks
Expert:  Dr Brandon Smith replied 2 years ago.

As in input on this category, something you can honestly look into is oxygen therapy. The brain functions better with good healthy levels of oxygen in the system. There are some other better formulated supplements out there for ADD and ADHD. There can be more weight put into quality of supplements taken, as that has a lot to do with how well they work. If you are willing to try supplements again I can give you more specific input. As far as oxygen therapy goes, I would look for a holistic practitioner in your area that offers this, and not in a hyperbaric chamber, you do not get enough oxygen in those for this treatment.