Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I'd like to get the prognosis of what finger nail counting

Customer Question

I'd like to get the prognosis of what finger nail counting could mean in a smoker of 20 years I smoked about a pack and a half got the last 12 years I've recently cut down like two years ago I sometimes go months without smoking any cigs at all or very few a day and gone times even less like a few cigarettes a week
I've had ct scan and pulmonary function test and follow up ct scan due to 2 nodules found all of which came back benign
Pulmonary function test from what I remember doctor telling me , o was 148% above normal range guessing. For people my age weight etc etc
Ct scan report stated I have chronic bronchitis which doctor told me not to stress or worry about being that it due to my smoking and he said that if I quit it can reverse (is this true ?)also radiologist report stated I gave mild emphysema
What does all this mean how bad is this ? I'm never breathless nor do I cough , but I feel a strange and pretty constant tingle/discomfort in my windpipe , sort of like what a Hissing sound would feel like if this makes any sense
Any info appreciated
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Quitting can allow the chronic bronchitis to clear in time. Emphysema unfortunately can't be reversed but from what you've said yours is truly mild and it won't get any worse if you quit smoking. As for the tingling feeling that could be from gastric acid reflux and Prilosec would help with that.

Let me know if you need more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How bout the fingernails ? What should I make of that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you meant by fingernail counting?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

If you meant clubbing, that can be an indication of COPD but it doesn't relate to the seriousness of the COPD and, again, in your case, yours is mild

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant fingernail clubbing bulbous enlargement of my finger tips and finger nails also I have a wheeze if I exhale forcefully I forgot to mention the wheeze in my question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

The wheeze still could be from gastric acid reflux or it may be some asthmatic bronchitis. But overall if you stop smoking completely your prognosis is excellent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to keep asking follow up questions but I just wanna get the best understanding possible
So your saying even the wheezing can go away with quitting ?i ask this cause yo until a week or so ago I was cig free totally for about the pay few months maybe 3 or 4 but I still had the wheeze , is there anything I can do together with quitting to better the wheeze
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Yes the wheezing can go away with quitting. For now though, depending on how much you wheeze, an albuterol inhaler can take care of it