Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Lately I've been getting a rash on my inner elbow that comes

Customer Question

Lately I've been getting a rash on my inner elbow that comes and goes. It usually appears or gets worse after I work out. It starts off as red and raised blotches, then sometimes gets a little scaly. It can be a little itchy but most of the time isn't. Do you know what it might be??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Your symptoms are suggestive of cholinergic urticaria. Exercise is the most common precipitating event for cholinergic urticaria, but any stimulus that causes sweating, including elevated environmental temperature, hot food, sauna baths, immersion in hot water, spicy food, chillies, emotional stress, etc may cause it. Please read about it;

http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/cholinergic-urticaria.html

The diagnostic test for it is an intradermal injection of either 0.05 mL of 0.002% carbamylcholine chloride (carbachol) or 0.05 mL of 0.02% (0.01 mg) methacholine which produce a flare-up of cholinergic urticaria. Treatment options for cholinergic urticaria are;

1) antihistamines (cetirizine)
2) leukotriene inhibitors (ketotifen), and
3) immunosuppressives.

Danazol and Beta blockers, such as propranolol, have also been reported to be useful in treating the disease. So these are are also worth trying if the first two group of mediciations do not give complete relief or resolve the issue. Desensitization with autologous sweat has been reported with good results in patients resistant to conventional therapy who have sweat hypersensitivity. In this your own sweat is injected in the skin. Consulting with an allergy specialist would be advised.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,