Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am on 2.25 micrograms of synthroid. They keep going up.

Customer Question

I am on 2.25 micrograms of synthroid. They keep going up. What is the highest amount of synthroid I can take before they have to remove my thyroid?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have graves disease and have had radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid. that was 30 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Has your thyroid gland enlarged again?

What are your values of T3, T4 and TSH?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if my thyroid gland is swollen. I had bouts of swelling years ago, but it has stopped. My TSH and T3 and T4 is normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My TSH changes from time to time and my doctors adds more synthroid from time to time. It has been stable for 2 years now.

Once the thyroid gland was burned by the radioactive iodine therapy; TSH estimation is done every 6-12 months to determine the dose of thyroid replacement / Synthroid. This is a routine follow up. The dose of Synthroid may increase due to following reasons;

1) Aging.

2) Thyroid is a labile hormone so dosing need regular adjustment.

3) Secondary hypthyroidsim may ensue later in the life after radioactive thyroid treatment. This may need increasing the thyroid replacement time to time.

There is nothing worrying here if the dose of Synthroid is increased and in the absence of thyroid gland enlargement; you would not need any surgery.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.