Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I been suffering through what assumed to be a cough/flu for

Customer Question

Hi, I been suffering through what assumed to be a cough/flu for the past week. I wasn't alarmed until relatively large amounts of began to appear mixed into my throat sputum. However, when I cough blood does not appear. Blood is only mixed with the throat sputum. I believe it may merely be due to excessive coughing but is this cause for immediate alarm? Is blood in sputum a common occurance? Other than blood appearing in in sputum, my cold seems to have subsided conditions seem to be improving. I have flight booked tomorrow afternoon and I am really hoping it is not something that would require the flight's cancelation.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 20 years old by the way and I now realize that I have posted this in the pediatrics section but I don't assume it will matter.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
There are many causes of coughing up blood in the phlegm.
One common cause coughing up blood mixed mucus is infection of the respiratory tract.
Several common bacterial or viral infection can cause blood to come in the sputum.
Small amount of blood is usually not concerning.
It would not need flight cancellation.
But I would suggest to get an examination by doctor.
He can run tests like sputum tests, X ray, blood counts to see if there is any bacterial infection.
In that case antibiotic would be needed.
Pl try to keep good hydration.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.
Regards.