Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I stil l have the cough and mucas. I just took a mucinex DM

Customer Question

Hey Doc so I stil l have the cough and mucas. I just took a mucinex DM about 20 min ago also a zrtec earlier today. I know after you take the DM it breaks up the mucas so its not uncommon to cough stuff up after. However this time I coughed up mucas but inside there was a yellowish tint darker mucas that was a little thicker. Is that still allergies or something more severe? I dont feel like the cough is getting worst but I am seeing that occasionally. That was the first time I saw that yellowish tint. Kind of freaking out but im guessing I shouldn't. Is that normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You need to stop with the freaking out Jay and using terms like more serious

While it still could be allergies, yellow mucus could mean a bacterial sinus infection so you need to have your doctor take a look to see if you need a course of antibiotics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, well its not all the time yellow. Well when I went last week when I told him I was going out of town this Thursday. He gave him Amoxacillin in case it gets worst so I already have some. So I wouldnt have to go to a doctor. Do you think I should go again, or maybe start the antibiotics. Im pretty sure I have been on this before. These are the antibiotics that mess up your stomach, and you have to eat when you take them. Ughhh. Again I dont notice the yellow all the time. Its if I have a HARD cough so to say.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I wouldn't start the amoxicillin right now Jay and really that isn't often an effective antibiotic for sinusitis--Septra is much better
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I should just wait then since it isn't alway yellow?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If I were your doctor I'd hold off for at least another week
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so don't go back until I get back from out of town then? I leave Thursday come back Monday? At that point prob antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's fine Jay--but even after that I would just check you out again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right thats what I mean. I can go to the doc or start the antibiotics. Sorry its just that until this year I have NEVER had allergies or sinus issues this bad. I didnt think allergies or sinus issues can just randomly start. Its all a combination of my stomach/gut issues has my anxiety very high. In my head I feel like I have colon cancer and its like spreading to my lungs or elsewhere in my body. Esp since I still have issues with my gut, and I have no clue anymore what to do. I know a colonoscopy is my next step, but I am getting sick of not knowing how I am going to feel the next day because of my gut. So its that on top of this cough has me worked up.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Jay but the allergy/sinus thing is anything but scary or serious