Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I am a75 year old widow diet controlled diabetes with

Customer Question

I am a75 year old widow diet controlled diabetes with excellent blood tests last week all normal liver kidneys blood sugar blood pressure cholesterol ets However si days ago I had pale coloured stool for two days then normal this morning cardboard colour Very stressed at the moment trying to evict a lodger could this be the cause no pain etc whatsoever
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 2 years ago.
I understand your concern.
Well as you describe,if you hadn't changed your diet and started a new medication in last few days and no associated foul smell,mucus in stools then such change in stool color is not of clinical significance.
As such the ideal color of stool is medium brown similar to the color of plain cardboard.
The bile salts from the liver gives stool its brownish color.Whenever there is insufficient bile output, it can cause pale light colored stool.
Also there are some foods that can make pale color of stool like peppermint, fatty foods, high protein diet and chocolate.
It may also be the sign of a bacterial infection in the intestines if the symptoms'll persist more than a week.
You should start metamucil and probiotic.
Also eat a bland diet.
Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.
Avoid fat rich diet.
If your symptoms'll persist then consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
Hope this helps.