A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

In the shower about two weeks ago I noticed two bumps that

Customer Question

In the shower about two weeks ago I noticed two bumps that are concerning.
One is between my scrotum and anus, the other is on my buttocks towards the inside of the cheek for lack of better phrasing. Neither bump hurts, there has been no change in stool or urinary patterns, no blood, they are not tender to the touch...to be honest no major symptoms. Have had a little bit of itchiness here and there, but more (I think) related to heat.
The size of both of these seems to change some as well; when I wake up they are less noticeable and after being in the shower, or the gym, or becoming warm, seem a bit bigger.
I have tried taking pictures but given the location this is not very easy; from what I have been able to see they are well defined, circular and not oddly colored; I do not see any pus either. To the touch there is nothing to pop and nothing blister like. I have only felt these two bumps and not noticed any others.
I know without seeing anything it is very hard to provide an accurate thought of what might be going on, but am unable to see a doctor for at least another week and wanted to see if could get any thoughts at all on what might be going on here. Also, I have had no new recent sexual partners.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 2 years ago.
Sorry your question was unanswered for so long. Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship.
You are correct that it is impossible to give a diagnosis without being able to see or palpate the bumps you have. One immediate thought that comes to mind is cysts under the skin. However, the only way to know is to see a provider.
Cysts (there are several types) are all benign, fluid-filled sacs that develop under the skin. They can develop due to irritation, infection, or sometimes no reason is ever found. They can be drained by your provider, or injected to make them disappear. If infected, then antibiotics are used.
There is no harm in waiting until next week to see your physician.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply;

- Any thoughts on why the size would seem to change?

- Are there any potential broader/more serious issues you can think of?

- Any STD concerns? Have read about things taking years to manifest.

Since it is fluid filled, it can change with body heat, friction, etc.
No, there really aren't any serious issues at this point. Cysts are common and harmless. They can become uncomfortable when infected or inflamed, but aren't serious. These are no more concerning than a pimple on your nose, just thankfully not as obvious! :-)
There are no STD concerns at all. Any infection would be from normally-occurring bacteria on your skin or in your body, not anything sexually-transmitted.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got it, thanks. To have two bumps randomly pop up in this area of my body was obviously concerning. Had read things about STD related issues showing up years later, and other more serious concerns about bumps (cancer, etc).

Glad you have no major concerns.

No, no major concerns at all. Happy I could help allay your fears.
All the best,
Schuyler
~