Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My wife , age 72, got up today early (we are suppose to get

Customer Question

My wife , age 72, got up today early (we are suppose to get on a plane in 2 hrs) at 4:30am and after being dressed said she felt like diareaaph and went to the toilet and the stool was all blood. She said quite a bit of blood. This happened twice. She feel ok.
Not sure what we should do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Hello,This can be polyp or hemorrhoids. Usually this is not considered an emergency; but should be evaluated. If you can cancel your program and visit a doctor that would be best. She needs a stool culture and a colonoscopy. Please feel free for your follow up questions.
The causes of bleeding in stool are;1) Hemorrhoids or piles2) Anal fissure3) Polyp rectum4) Diverticulitis5) Inflammatory bowel disease like crohn's disease6) Growth in rectum or colon Investigations needed to establish the cause are; 1) Proctoscopy2) Colonoscopy3) Barium enemaIt is important that she is investigated as soon as possible to know the cause.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.