Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have soft pencil like stools. I have had this for the past

Customer Question

I have soft pencil like stools. I have had this for the past two weeks. Prior to this the stools were very soft. I attributed this to a change of diet (more roughage). I stopped eating the the extra roughage but the stools remain pencil thin. I do get cramping. I was diagnosed with IBS 20 years ago and I have a colonoscopy every 5 years. The most recent was two years ago. Everything is normal.There were never any polyps. I am under stress. Should I be concerned about cancer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like
Just two weeks of pencil sized stools would not be an indicator of colon cancer. The roughage would definitely contribute to the softness of your stools though.
This is probably just your IBS being a bit more active recently and nothing to do with cancer but still I suggest you let your doctor know about what's been happening
Let me know if you need any more information please