Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am taking Klolonopin and 2 years ago started drooling,

Customer Question

I am taking Klolonopin and 2 years ago started drooling, it's embarrassing and corners of my mouth stay inflamed (I guess fungal, I am in medical too), I don't want to discontinue to decrease Klonopin (I take 1-2 md/day), cant' take Benadryl, already take medication for acid reflux. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
Apart from medications; drooling also can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or acid reflux). GERD is commonly associated with it. Face muscle strengthening exercises can help you like balloon blowing. The other causes are increased production of saliva. Medications like Glycopyrrolate may help preventing drooling. It is a prescription medication.
Adequate control of GERD is necessary by following to stop drolling;
1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.
For acid reflux (GERD), following alos would be helpful;
A. Herbs;
1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint
B. Homeopathy
1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla
C. Nutrition and supplements;
1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.