Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 42, I had a sub total hysterectomy in 2007 and since

Customer Question

I am 42, I had a sub total hysterectomy in 2007 and since then the hot flushes hav been terrible,several hrt I've tried, alternative meds, patches and nothing has helped. I'm on the verge of suicide its that bad, recently the hot flushes are causing tiny droplets of water on the outer skin of my nose , its so embarrassing, at night my back is soaking wet,, can u suggest anything that can help? I am seeing a gynae who specialises I menopause but he jus keeps changing my hrt. The blood tests show I am pre menopausal.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How often to you get these hot flashes and when you do do you have any other symptoms like facial flushing, diarrhea, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

everyday, mainly late afternoon onwards, face gets hot, so does back, neck, chest, the worst is my back and face, in particular the nose, forehead, upper lip

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Have you had any tests to see if this isn't a female hormonal problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, only blood test to see if I'm going thru menopause

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and none of the HRT medications you've tried have helped at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, I've tried different doses of climaval, premarin

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. Then I don't think this is a premenopausal or a premenopausal problem since that should have helped.

You need your thyroid function tested as well as your cortisol levels since this is more likely an overactive thyroid problem or high cortisol level problem.

Let me know if you need more information about this please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had thyroid tested, that was fine.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Then I would also check your cortisol levels and also screen you for autoimmune disorders since those could also cause your symptoms.

And if the flushing were combined with diarrhea I would consider a rare disorder called carcinoid syndrome

My point is that if the HRT combinations aren't helping at all this can't be a menopause or premenopause problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what are cortisol levels and how are they tested, thru a blood test?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Cortisol is one of the hormones produced by the adrenal glands and yes it's a blood test--both AM and PM levels need checking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if cortisol levels r high, whats the treatment?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Then it probably would be from a benign adrenal tumor and that would require surgery.

Talk to your doctor about what I've said

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can I come back to you and follow on from this conversation after I've spoken to the doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Certainly--this page will still be open after you rate my service to you so I would ask that you do that now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why do I need both AM and PM levels checking of cortisol levels?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

That's standard practice since the levels are substantially different in the morning and evening.

We can continue the discussion but right now I would ask that you rate my service to you Alpna

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand why £48 has been withdrawn from my bank a/c on july 7th. I submitted this question to you on july 8th for £28 charge??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I can't speak to that except to say you aren't debited anything unless you rate my service to you. If you do rate me the charge would be the 28 pounds