Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a question about a black spot on the nail. It doesn't…

Customer Question
Hi I have a question...
Hi I have a question about a black spot on the nail. It doesn't look like a blood spot. It is on the middle toe nail and it started from the top on the corner side. It doesn't hurt but it has irregular shape. I had a pedicure and nothingwas there and when the nail started to grow I saw it on the top...no sure what it is, hopefully not a melanoma! thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
7/2/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi Are you saying the spot is actually in the nail and not underneath it?
Not sure. I have tried to see it but cant understand. I think it is in the nail as it grew a bit with it. It is darker closer to the en where the nail goes inside the skin and has irregular grey shape on the top of the nail.
OK--any chance you could post a photo on this page?
Sure here it is, thanks. I have tried to see where it end so it is a bit red...
Thanks--very helpful.
This is in the nail itself and not underneath it so we don't have to worry about a melanoma
Most likely this is a fungal infection of the nail itself and nothing too serious. Have your doctor look at it and it can be treated with oral Sporanox
Hi, that's great. Thanks for reassuring me. I had a similar thing last year symmetrical on both big toes in the same place and then it eventually just grew out and didn't appear again so I thought it might be my shoes. Could it be the same infection and it just occasionally pops up? If I take oral pill should this disappear or I still have to wait until it grows out? Do you think I have to see a doctor urgently, I have noticed it yesterday and going on holidays tomorrow that is why I am trying to get an answer urgently. Or can I get something from the pharmacy and take on my trip? Thanks
It can just pot up out of nowhere and it may grow out on its own. The pill actually eradicates the infection without its having to grow out. This isn't an urgent matter but there really isn't anything topical over the counter medication that is effective for this.
Ok great then I think I can wait one week to get an appointment. Is there a way to understand when it is just a fungal infection and when it is something under the nail which can be more serious? (apartment from when you hit it)
Well, if it's under the nail it would move--won't grow out with the nail.
So enjoy your vacation and don't worry about this