Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I'm high risk for ectopic since I had

Customer Question

I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I'm high risk for ectopic since I had one in Jan 2013 so I went for an ultrasound to determine whether or not I have an ectopic now. The ultrasound showed a GS...but also fluid in the cul-de-sac. No other visible signs of ectopic. I was td that ectopic is possible...but it may also be a good pregnancy since the GS was perfectly round and not irregularly shaped.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

If gestational sac was intra-uterine then that would confirm a normal pregnancy --NOT ECTOPIC --

So that sounds to be excellent confirmation of this was the case !

I hope that this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.-I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told that presence of a GS did not conform the pregnancy, but rather that the presence of a US within the GS would confirm it. Reason being that the GS is a response of the body to the hormones...and can be present as a pseudosac with an ectopic.

Hello again >>
The gestational sac would be the first sign that you would expect to see with an ultrasound at 5 weeks >>
see ref >>
http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/early-fetal-development/
The gestational sac would be the earliest ultrasound finding at 5 weeks>> this would not yet be as solid a finding as later seeing yolk sac >fetal pole but these are seen just a bit later...
Another U/S soon should confirm the most likely result which would be a viable intra-uterine pregnancy
The age of your gestation would make it less solid as to the stage >> it sounds that you are still in a stage at which it would be helpful to confirm positive development to rule out risk of miscarriage or blighted ovum ...or ectopic but the location of the GS would not seem consistent with ectopic location...
Confirmation U/S in a short span of time would be advised if there remains concern...
Best Regards >>
Anthony Bray MD
Repeat scan