Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had an EGD with eh following findings: Esophagus - Mucosa…

Customer Question
i had an EGD with...
i had an EGD with eh following findings:
Esophagus - Mucosa - Localized irregularity of th emucosa was noted in the Z-line at 36cm and gasteroesopageal junction. These findings raise suspicion of Barrett's intestinal metaplasia. Bipses were performed in the Z-line at 36cm and gastroesophageal junction.
I was sent by my primary for my first colonoscopy as as a new 50 year old since I was getting that done I thoought it would be a good idea to get a EGD while I was at it. No problems, just as a precaution at my new age.
Also the following:
Stomach - Mucosa - Diffuse erythema of the mucosa was noted in the antrum and stomach body. Multiple cold forceps bipsoes were performed for histology.
What does that mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
6/30/2015
Health Professional: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Your initial endoscopy showed change in the epithelial lining at the stomach and esophageal junction.
Metaplasia means different looking cell normally seen in intestine but now in esophagus.
This is consistent with barrett's subject to confirmation.
Your latest endoscopy shows mucosal redness in the stomach likely from gastritis.
Inflammation causes redness.
Biopsies are taken and you need to follow up on the result.
Usually not concerning.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist