Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Fungal between my pinky toe, for many months can't seem to…

Customer Question
Fungal between my pinky toe...
Fungal between my pinky toe, for many months can't seem to get rid of it. Can I soak my foot in gasoline to kill what ever in on my foot.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
6/28/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
I can understand your frustration.
A chronic fungal infection can be treated as following (often require long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control);
1) So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen abate the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in majority.
2) Boric acid wash, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician. A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases, so you can talk to your doctor to get this culture before you start the treatment.
3) Clotrimazole 500 mg once per week for six months is also effective.
Gasoline is not recommended and should not be employed.
You may also ask your doctor to get the following investigations (if not done)to rule out low immunity issues which makes the eradication of fungal infection tedious and difficult;
1) ESR
2) CRP
3) Complement levels
4) TSH
5) Serum cortisol
6) Immune panel.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.