Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I live with fibromyalgia and energy issues, so tend to be a…

I live with fibromyalgia and...
I live with fibromyalgia and energy issues, so tend to be a tired person but can function. This week I reached a new and debilitating level of exhaustion suddenly. Symptoms include barely keeping eyes open, neck pain (sharp pain in nape of neck with swallowing), tingles up and down legs when lying down. Had very back low back pain earlier in the month but chiropractic treatment helped. She mentioned degenerative disk disease. That may not be related to being bedridden as I am, but not as with a virus, but not sick, per se, more like feel like I'm dying. Absolutely zero energy. Moving and typing is difficult. Cognitively tough focusing on anything, except TV. This is taking way too long to type, for example. Known issues: I'm 46 and post menopausal. Suffer migraines. Chronic foot and angle pain with standing and walking for fifteen years, progressively worsens. Gluten and dairy intolerances. It's a puzzling set of symptoms. Thank you for any suggestions or insight.
6/28/2015
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Your symptoms should be investigated for following;

• Chronic heart disease

• chronic fatigue syndrome

• Thyroid disease (low thyroid)

• Chronic anemia

• Endocrine diseases (Addison disease)

• Liver disease

• Renal disease

• Anxiety / depression

• Obstructive sleep apnea

• Myasthenia Gravis

Any of the above can be concomitant so investigations are essential to ascertain the cause. Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome or low thyroid can co-exist together.

Laboratory studies and investigative work up like following are done to help rule out diseases with similar manifestations and to assist in diagnosis of certain inflammatory diseases that frequently coexist with fibromyalgia;

1) Complete blood cell (CBC) count and differential count,

2) Basic metabolic panel,

3) Urinalysis,

4) Thyroid-stimulating hormone: Hypothyroidism has many similar clinical features with fibromyalgia, especially diffuse muscle pain and fatigue.

5) Creatinine phosphokinase (CPK) to rule out inflammatory myopathies

6) Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

7) Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs):

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sleep studies

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

People who have episodes of fatigue or tiredness (or persistent symptoms) need to be classified in;
1) chronic fatigue syndrome; unexplained, persistent or relapsing fatigue with unrefreshing sleep, muscle pain, concentration problems, headache, sore throat etc.
2) idiopathic fatigue; it does not meet the above criteria.
Fibromyalgia, lupus, sleep disorders are the other disorders which also can cause fatigue as we discussed.
For the management of the fibromyalgia using the principles of comprehensive nonpharmacologic pain management represented by the acronym ExPRESS; has been suggested.
1) Ex is for exercise.
2) P is for psychiatric comorbidity, because depression and anxiety disorders are common in chronic pain conditions and contribute significantly to pain and disability.
3) R is for regaining function; this often involves helping patients with activity pacing so that they do not do too much on days when they feel good and do too little on days when they feel bad.
4) E is for education; Web sites hosted by the Arthritis Foundation and the National Fibromyalgia Association are the best education sites.
5) S is for sleep hygiene, which is necessary for many who have developed counterproductive habits.
6) Finally, S is for stress management, which includes any number of elements, such as CBT, relaxation techniques, hydrotherapy, and gentle exercise to name just a few.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)