Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm developing a cough especially while laying on my back or…

Customer Question
I'm developing a cough especially...
I'm developing a cough especially while laying on my back or side although it's progressed somewhat to sitting. It's associated with mucus which appears to be clear. This has gone on for about three months but has gotten much worse over the past four weeks.
I do have allergies. I'm 64 and have smoked all my life. Neither of which have ever caused me any complications.
I've developed no fever but have developed recurring bouts of diarrhea over the past four weeks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
6/27/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Are you taking any medications?
Any investigations so far?
Do you still smoke?
Stuffy nose,sore throat?
Shortness of breath?
Any other medical history?
Thanks.
Waiting for your response.
After 55 years, over the past few weeks I've been working on quitting smoking. Found it difficult but working on it.
No investigations into this thus far.
I'm on Plavix 75mg tab DR R, Trazodone 100mg tab, Finasteride 5mg tab, Lisinopril 2.5mg tab, Oxbutynin CL ER TB 1mg, Topiramate 200mg tab, Tamsulosin 0.4mg cap, Gabapentin 300mg cap, Lovastatin 40mg tab, Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray, Asprin 81 mg tab, Fish Oil 1000 mg w/ 300 mg Omega-3 gel, Daily Vitamin.
Stuffy nose has been a problem for years due to allergies. The Sore thoat comes and goes when my throat gets dry and mucus sticks causing more coughing. It's as if the mucus drains into the lung, doesn't like it there comes back up and goes into the stomach.
I've got five bad discs with one failed fusion twenty years ago. No gall bladder, two stents, kidney stones, & a couple other operations.
No shortness of breath.
It’s my first priority to serve you.
Thanks for providing more information.
Well as you describe,your cough can be caused due to possible causes like
Chronic bronchitis
Sinusitis
Lisinopril induced
Quitting smoking can also contribute to cough.
When we smoke and for all the years that we smoked each and every puff on a cigarette destroyed the cilia, or tiny little hair-like projections lining our respiratory tract.
These cilia are responsible for filtering out all the impurities we breathe on a daily basis. They line our nose and reach all the way down into our lungs.
When we quit smoking, the first thing, essentially to start repairing itself, is the respiratory tract and as soon as we take the last puff, the cilia start to regenerate themselves. When we stop smoking, cilia start to function again, which can prompt to cough.
So having said this,you should see your doctor for a clinical examination,chest auscultation and undergo chest X-ray,CBC,ESR,Absolute eosinophil count,IgE and CT scan of para nasal sinuses,throat culture for further evaluation and management.
Warm liquids can be helpful.
Also elevate your head while sleeping.
Do deep breathing exercises.
Saline gargles and steam inhalation can be tried.
Use a humidifier in your room.
If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than give us poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)