Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm a bit concerned because I've been spitting some blood…

Customer Question
Hi Melissa. I'm a bit...
Hi Melissa. I'm a bit concerned because I've been spitting some blood when I wake up in the morning but nothing throughout the day. However, yesterday, I slipped and hit the back of my head after cleaning the floor. Today, I'm spitting slightly more after sleeping. Aside from that, I don't have any symptoms. Have had headaches in the past two weeks but that is normal for me. Thought it could be related to sinus but now suspect Brain tumor bc why else would a head injury produce more blood in my spit? The doctor had me take a blood test and my white blood cells were at10K. Next step is to see my primary to figure out next steps. Think I need an mri to figure out what is happening. My brain functions well though.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
6/25/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
Your symptom of spitting blood in morning suggest acid reflux and stomach sores. This may increase after head injury. Any stress (physical or psychological)increases the stomach sores and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You may need antacids and acid blockers and a treatment of Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
The other tiny possibility can be blood coming from respiratory passage. But usually it is associated with cough.
This is not likely due to brain tumor.
Following measures are helpful in GERD and stomach sores;
1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.