How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17824
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I notice I have some sticky substance on scalp in area about

Customer Question

I notice I have some brown sticky substance on scalp in area about maybe 2"x2" or less. I thought it was tree sap.since I work outdoors as a landscaper. But I comb hair and there seems to have this stuff comb out or collects on comb to make it very dirty looking.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Since when are you having it?
Do you have any pain, itching or any other symptom?
Is there any smell?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Notice about a week. No pain, not itchy. Again thought it was tree sap. But in combing this morning, I'm wondering why is my comb so dirty looking!
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Did you wash your head or scalp or take bath in these 7 days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
shower every day and wash hair. Oh and doesn't seem to have any smell. My hair is not greasy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More info, it was sticky after showering and washing hair, but since dry it is not sticky. Maybe scabby?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information,
This does not seem to be tree sap.
With bathing, washing, sap would go away.
This is likely due to a scab formation, scaly skin.
This can form from dermatitis, seborrhea or increased sweating.
Fungal infection can be there too.
I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.
You can try antifungal cream like lamisil.
Hydrocortisone cream can be added too.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.