Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have severe anxiety and my doctor prescribes Alprazolam and

Customer Question

I have severe anxiety and my doctor prescribes Alprazolam and Seroquel. I was seeing her P.A. when I went in a couple of weeks ago which increases my anxiety as she is not very nice and I foolishly drank a half tumbler of rum 4 hours prior to my appt. She did a UDS on me testing me for my medications (I always take what I am supposed to or less) and always bring my pill bottles with me and she tested for alcohol. (It was not an etg test). No excuse for what I did, and I rarely drink. My test has not come back and it has been 2 weeks, I am pretty certain I am going to test positive. Will my doctor stop prescribing the medications I so desperately need? I have anxiety, panic, and PTSD.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
No I would not think that you potentially testing positive for alcohol would cause your doctor to stop prescribing for you. If you had a history of alcoholism or DWI or had signed a contract in which you had agreed to not drink then it could possibly get you in trouble from that perspective.
In the normal circumstance though I would not expect that it would cause you trouble.
Having had the drink four hours prior I would not expect you to have a high level either...
At most it might lead to a discussion with your doctor to explore your use of alcohol. That could be a potential since alcohol plus the alprazolam could have additive effects. I think if asked that you stay calm and honest and you should be fine in this situation.
I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello again,
I received a request for a phone call and that will be fine if you wish to set that up.I submitted an offer for that service...
Take care!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.