Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Diagnosed with antral gastritis and have been on Prevacid…

Customer Question
Diagnosed with antral gastritis and...
Diagnosed with antral gastritis and have been on Prevacid and Zantac for 3 months. My MD says I have no food restrictions while on these meds. After 2 months, I have developed allergies... Watery eyes, itchy skin,scratchy throat, occasional
hives on abdomen, and occasional tingly swelling of lips. I have never had food or pet allergies ( we have a German shepherd and 2 cats). Can these allergies be related to the drugs? When is it about time to get off the meds?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
6/16/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Allergy to drug can occur days or weeks after starting medicine.
It may not occur on first exposure but can occur with subsequent course.
When you are taking those medicines for 3 months already, those may not be the issue.
Often the cause of allergy may not be apparent.
Allergy test can be needed if the doctor feels necessary.
You can take antihistamines like benadryl or zyrtec.
You may need prescription grade antihistamine , sometimes steroid too.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.
Regards.