Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm doing at home IV antibiotics through my port (from

Customer Question
chemo). I think I...
I'm doing at home IV antibiotics through my port (from chemo). I think I forgot to get the air out of the syringe this morning when doing a saline flush prior to administering the antibiotics. Should I be worrying about an air embolism?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
6/12/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi. It really takes a fair amount of injected air--50 cc or more--to cause a significant air embolism event. I really don't see how whatever amount of air was potentially in the syringe would have done you any harm but you should call your doctor to discuss this.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)