Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm writing a story in which the main character is hit twice…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm writing a story...
Hi, I'm writing a story in which the main character is hit twice in the head with a 6 inch iron skillet. I want her to have a moderate TBI that makes her chance of returning to her career of being a criminal lawyer likely but questionable. Can you suggest the specific injury she should have and how it should be treated? Her mother hits her in the face with the skillet. She is stunned and sits still in her chair. Then her mother hits her again in the back of the head with the skillet. She stands up and then collapses and is out for about 10 minutes. She comes to and is distant and mildly confused but comes back to herself and insists on driving herself home. While she is driving, she sneezes and blood comes out. Her nose is broken, her head aches. She drives herself to the E.R. and is able to answer questions but not with great detail.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
I'd also like to know what meds they use on her and how she should be acting? If medically induced coma, how long? basically, I need details to make the situation real but I want to hint at a good outcome at the end of the story.
Oh! vey important! I want her to be worried about her memory and her ability to continue being a successful lawyer. The story opens weeks after the accident with her screaming in the middle of the night because she can't remember the 5th amendment and her partner has to hold her until she calms down. Hope this helps.
6/9/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi--what did you mean by the specific injury she should have?
Where is the answer? I've already provided great detail and entered my Pay Pal charge info.
I'll give you an answer but I need more clarification first please. Can you tell me what you meant by specific injury and how it should be treated since that isn't clear to me?
By specific injury, I mean exactly what kind of TBI she would have from receiving these kinds of blows to her face and head.
OK--just wanted to check since TBI and concussion are basically the same thing. I'd call this a major concussion since she lost consciousness. There'd be no need for a medically induced coma.
We'll assume she had a ct scan at the ER and there was no intracranial hemorrhaging.
The waking up in the night and screaming, although the memory lapse is part of the post-concussion syndrome, sounds more like post traumatic stress disorder and that's treated with cognitive behavioral therapy and EMDR and here's a link about that
http://www.emdr.com/general-information/what-is-emdr.html
Let me know if there are any more points I need to cover for you
This is not what I requested. I don't want her to have a concussion. I want her to have a moderate TBI which could possibly threaten her career. I don't think you read all of the details that were posted. Please review and contact me again.
I did read all your details but as I said before TBI and concussion are basically the same thing. But of course the memory loss would be very troublesome to her career. I'll be glad to continue this as long as you need but what more do you need to know at this point?