Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My son has had jra since he was 2 and is now 17. He is just…

My son has had jra...
My son has had jra since he was 2 and is now 17. He is just recently been feeling like he is walking on glass. We have a follow up with duke on the 17th
6/7/2015
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
HI. Can you tell me more about the symptoms he's having and how long they've been going on?
And what exactly is the Duke follow up about?
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
He has had these symptoms for about a little over a week he just recently started working as a bagger at Ingles.. He can not take ibuprofen due to the coumadin he is on. Also we go to Duke Rheumatology every 4 months for jra check up
OK. Walking on glass as in the soles of his feet hurt?
He says the sides and archs
OK. Any swelling anywhere in the feet or ankles? And has he seen a doctor about this as yet?
Just a little swelling and he normally complains about the top part of his foot from the ankle bone across with just his normal arthritis pain and no we haven't yet... He remarked that Duke is going to have fun with this one
Well of course his history of JRA has to be taken into account here, but just on its own--if he didn't have JRA--this sounds like metatarsalgia which is a little like plantar fasciitis. It may be that his job as a bagger has brought it on. I'm giving you an informative link about it. Basically the treatment is rest and he can try some capsiaicin cream to the painful areas.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metatarsalgia/basics/definition/con-20022369
Thank you very much I hope you have a wonderful day
You too