Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I experience moderately severe, acute, lower right quadrant…

Customer Question
I experience moderately severe, acute...
I experience moderately severe, acute, lower right quadrant pain 4 days ago and am trying to narrow down possible causes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi. Do you still have it? Any fever, nausea or vomiting? And have you ever had it before?
Also--any chance you could be pregnant?
Hello and thank you for your response.
No fever (98.4 during episode). Started suddenly, a stabbing pain on the right side, more to the front vs the back. It resembled ovulation pain, although I am currently on oral birth control. I never had ovulation pain that I ever had to medicate prior to being on BC. Since starting BC, haven't had any pain at all. I hadn't missed any doses in the last few months either. Had just restarted a new pack (7 days in). I was not nauseous although I have a very strong stomach and nausea is a rare side effect of anything for me.
The pain was so strong the first night that I could barely move without it hurting. Took motrin that night. By the morning, I could sit up but took more motrin. Two hours later, I could walk and feel much less pain but was still uncomfortable. Throughout the day, the pain slow lessened, although I was much more comfortable sitting and having less movement. Throughout Monday all of my lower abdomen was "sore," not just on the right. It was uncomfortable to move certain ways or have pressure from the outside, but none of the intense stabbing pain.
Yesterday (Tuesday), I had very minimal comfort.
Normal OBGYN visit 6 months ago with no mention of any cysts.
OK. We can continue after this if you'd like
First off, while this really isn't acting like typical appendicitis, it still could be that
If you have any flank or back pain at all this could be a kidney stone
A ruptured ovarian cyst is another thought and even on the pill it could be an ectopic pregnancy.
While it may be seeming to be getting better, you really need to see a doctor for an exam, blood work, urinalysis, and either a pelvic ultrasound or a ct scan to find out exactly what is causing this
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier but today I feel 100% fine. I ran a UA stick and it was normal accept for 1+ WBCs. I was suspicious of a kidney stone with how sudden it occurred but had zero back pain at all. My dad and husband had stones and it hurt in their back so badly. I also wasn't sure if I went in now, if they could even tell me anything since the symptoms are now gone. Do ovarian cysts develop over time? For example -- for there to be none back in November, have one develop since then and then rupture over the weekend? Or is that too short of a time frame for that all to happen?
Thank you for your further help.
It still could have been a stone that you passed fairly quickly.
Likely not an ovarian cyst but I needed to give you the full differential.
With its being so severe so suddenly my take would be a kidney stone
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)