How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11317
Experience:  Internal medicine internship in New York City. Two decades+ of medical experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is for UK doctors only Last September I fell down a

Customer Question

Hello - this is for UK doctors only
Last September I fell down a hole in the park and broke my shoulder in 2 places. The hospital say it was a really bad fracture. I had a brilliant surgical team, compliments of our fantastic NHS who rebuilt my upper arm using this "scaffold type" pin. I was expecting a small band around my shoulder joint but it was almost the length of my upper arm and has ten pins keeping it all in place. My surgeon said that it was all healed up in January - 4 months later - and he seemed quite impressed at my recovery.
However, they decided to give me a pelvic scan to check bone density. I never saw the hospital report because when I was next at my GP's they could not bring the report up on screen other than to see "no action" and I was quite relieved. I didn't suspect I have brittle bones because I am a builder/designer and get into so many scrapes and falls which have never needed treatment. But my mother had osteoporosis and her mother had severe rickets (Iam 56) and as a vegetarian I have always taken supplements including Vit C and have always had great hair and fingernails so I never worried before.
This fracture happened because I was watching my dog instead of looking where I am going - I thought she was doing her business but she was only doing a wee. I had taken the poo bag out of my pocket watching her and was just putting it back when my foot went down this hole and I was launched sideways and couldn't get my hand out to break my fall. I landed heavily on my shoulder and at the time I was just relieved that I didn't crack my head open.
In any event, surgeon was very happy with my recovery so obviously my bones' capacity to heal on time is not in question. What appears to be in question is the density of my bone and how I could be at risk of fractures in the future.
Two years ago I was put on vitamin B12 injections - a combination of severe jaundice as a child and a vegetarian diet has left me unable to produce this on my own.
Prior to these 2 events the last time I had any serious medication was in 2000 for a chest infection so I have been quite the stranger at my doctors.
When I attended for my B12 injection in March I was told that the hospital had told my doctor to issue a prescription for something like "ADCAL" but I thought it was a mistake because of the "no action" partial report.
In any event I picked up the prescription and was alarmed when the pharmacist launched into this lecture about when to take it and not eat, drink or lie down for 2 hours afterwards. When I got home I read the leaflets for each drug
NATECAL D3 600mg+400 I.U. chewable tablet (calcium + cholecalciferol) tablets made by Chiesi - these come with very mild side effects which I am happy to risk
However, the second part of the treatment is 70mg of Alendronic Acid to be taken once a week but the side effects are absolutely horrendous, regardless of the percentage of risk I would never ever consider putting these in my mouth. Ironically, for a person who is suspected of having brittle bones I am being asked to trust a drug which could - albeit the risk is extremely low (but no comfort to the small percentage who suffer this side effect) result in fracture of my thigh bone if ta***** *****-term.
So my question is
I am happy with part A of my treatment - unless you know anything more than me it has very mild side effects I am willing to risk.
But why is part B even legal if in the long term it can lead to a fracture in the thigh bone which I believe is, apart from my pelvis, the biggest and strongest bone in my body.
I don't for a minute suspect that my GP would go along with a drug company or anything like that and I was told by the pharmacist that if this Alendronic Acid did not agree with me I should ask my GP for something else (because there are alternatives) but to be honest I have a very high pain threshold - I actually endured 3 weeks of fracture before the surgeon put me back together and two weeks of that I managed on paracetemol.
I think I would rather take the risk of further fractures than take this medication with the horrendous side effects in their brochure.
what do you think I should do?
BTW the leaflet that came this drug was very hot on explaining the dangers of brittle bones, quoting "Dowagers Hump" etc. I spent 20 years caring for 7 different member of my family so am used to reading these leaflets (just not for myself) that accompany these drugs and I never saw one like this - almost scaring you into taking the drug because of all the awful things could happen to you. It's obviously not aimed at people like me - who have already endured the agony of bone fractures and defo won't take any drug that could result in a thigh fracture (however remote) but if I had not already broken my shoulder and my GP was worried about my bone density I may well have agreed to take this drug.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
I do not believe that the hospital has the power to tell the doctor what to prescribe. The "hospital" is not a medical practitioner.
So. What should you do?
If you do not agree with taking these medications then consult with another, private, doctor of your choice and have her review all your records and test results, examine you and see if she agrees with your current therapy.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry but I did say I only wanted to hear from UK doctors - I am sorry you have wasted your time here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not about to re-type my question again and there doesn't seem to be an option for re-posting my question so am afraid I have no choice but to click on Not Satisfied with Your Expert in order to post it again

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
When I posted this question I did insist it was for UK doctors only but when I clicked on the answer I see it comes from a Dr in New York. I am not going to re-type my question and there seems to be no option to re-post my question other than to say I am not satisfied with my answer. It's a shame if this shows a negative result for this American doctor but I don't see another option
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again

it appears that if I click on Not satisfied with expert the only option I get is to ask for another answer. I don't want another answer from you - I want to re-post my question to UK doctors. Apparently you can help with that according to FAQs. Can you please re-post my question and I will then be able to give you a positive rating based upon your helping to get the question re-listed. I don't want to give you a negative rating for the fact that you should not have attempted to answer it in the first place because you are not a UK doctor. I suppose I should have checked your profile to see where you are based but I assumed that my expert would be UK based as I insisted upon when I posted the question.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 years ago.
I will opt out and then all experts will be able to answer you.
Best of luck.