Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Can a child obtain Hpv 17 from her mother at birth. Or does…

Customer Question
Can a child obtain Hpv...
Can a child obtain Hpv 17 from her mother at birth. Or does there have had to have been a object entered into a canal.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
5/28/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
The transmission of HPV 17 during birth is possible though it is considered as highly uncommon or rare. Post delivery, due to close contact with the baby may be another possibility of the transmission of HPV virus. Please read this authentic resource for this virus transmission;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12002819
The above mentioned authentic resource mentions following mode of transmission in children;
The modes of viral transmission in children remain controversial, including perinatal transmission, auto- and hetero-inoculation, sexual abuse, and, possibly, indirect transmission via fomites. Recent studies on perinatal infection with HPV have been inconclusive. It is still unclear how frequently perinatal infection progresses to clinical lesions, whether genital, laryngeal, or oral. Conflicting reports have been published on the prevalence of HPV infections in children. The current consensus is, however, that newborn babies can be exposed to cervical HPV infection of the mother.
So during birth there is a chance of transmission; though it very low.
Also read this resource:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/483621_4
Vertical transmission of the HPV virus from infected mother to her infant can occur (de Jesus et al., 2003; Frazier, 1998; Hadlich & Kohl, 1998). Adams' (2001) classification scale for evaluating medical findings of suspected sexual abuse lists ano-genital warts/condyloma in a child younger than 2 years of age as a nonspecific finding for sexual abuse—perinatal transmission must be considered. Vertical transmission can occur through the bloodstream prior to birth, or at the time of birth, as the infant passes through the infected birth canal (Frazier, 1998).
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.