Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

IF A RACCOON HAD RABIES AND CHEWED ON A METAL FORK, AND A

Customer Question

IF A RACCOON HAD RABIES AND CHEWED ON A METAL FORK, AND A PERSON THEN PUT THAT FORK IN THE FIRE AND COOKED A HOT DOG, COULD RABIES BE TRANSMITTED TO A PERSON
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. Rabies is of course a very serious fatal disease in humans so if in doubt you should consult with your doctor. However I can tell you that rabies is almost always transmitted to humans through the saliva of infected animals and such transmission is generally through a bite. It would be very rare for this disease to spread via the oral route as you describe, and if the fork had been in the fire then that would also be very much a plus point as heat would inactivate any raccoon saliva

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hopefully you now have enough information, but I will be very pleased to talk things over with you in more depth if necessary ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers