Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am 32 years old and have significant digestive issues. I…

Customer Question
I am 32 years old...
I am 32 years old and have significant digestive issues. I eat more than enough fiber daily. I have 5 servings of fruit each day, at least 2 servings of vegetables. I have taken Metamucil on top of that a couple of times per day. No matter what I struggle significantly with regularity.
When I was 20 I did not eat a lot of fiber, but all I needed to do was have my morning coffee and within an hour I was having a bowel movement. As I got older I have improved my eating habits, but my digestion has declined severely. I have found myself using laxatives on an every other day basis for over 5 years now. Basically, I use laxatives a day or two in a row, go to the bathroom, then don't use them for a day or two in a row and either barely go or don't have a bowel movement at all. I have been struggling with this for 5 years now.
I have tried 3 month colon cleanses, week long colon cleanses, tried increasing Metamucil and cutting out stimulant laxatives, increasing my fiber intake to nearly 40 grams per day at times. Nothing matters. I drink more than enough water and still have a cup of coffee twice daily, but it doesn't matter. Unless I take a laxative I don't go. I need advice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
5/25/2015
Health Professional: Onlinedoc, General Physician replied 2 years ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Have you undergone any investigations so far?
Do you have bloating and flatulence?
Pain abdomen?
Are you taking any medicines?
Stress and anxiety history?
Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.

I have seen a gastro intestinal specialist about a decade ago and he observed stool samples. He stated that everyone looked fine.

I have noticed that since I began a sit down job about 2 years ago that things have really gotten significantly worse. Could it be lack of exercise? I worked physical labor up until age 26, and I never really had bowel movement issues during that time.

Also, I don't take any medicines, but I do use melotonin pills on almost a nightly basis to regulate my sleep.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
As per your description,lack of physical activity,sedentary lifestyle can be contributing factor in your symptoms.
Also you should avoid frequent use of laxative as they can worsen symptoms.
You should need to be seen by colo-rectal specialist for a clinical exam and undergo Colonoscopy,stool analysis,liver function test for further evaluation.
Possible differential diagnosis may include Irritable bowel disease,rectocele,bowel stricture,colon growth,polyp.
I'm here to discuss further queries until you get satisfied with our conversation.
Please press reply button rather than give poor/bad service.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician