Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am suffering from a constant pain in my outer right hip.

Customer Question
Hello. I am suffering from...
Hello. I am suffering from a constant pain in my outer right hip. At time, shooting very sharp pain goes down my outer right leg. Rest doesn't seem to help but walking or any activity after a bit makes it worse. I'm 50 and haven't fallen and in shape.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
5/24/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi. We can certainly continue after this but there are basically two possibilities here.
My first though would be bursitis of the hip which can occur without any significant trauma.
The other would be a disk problem in your lower back pressing on a nerve root and referring the pain to your hip and leg. This could happen even if you don't have much in the way of back pain.
If rest and topical capsaicin cream or BioFreeze don't let this resolve in a few days you need to have a doctor take a look and I'd get MRI's of both the hip and your lumbar spine. If it's bursitis, a cortisone injection will help