Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am suffering from a constant pain in my outer right hip.

Customer Question

Hello. I am suffering from a constant pain in my outer right hip. At time, shooting very sharp pain goes down my outer right leg. Rest doesn't seem to help but walking or any activity after a bit makes it worse. I'm 50 and haven't fallen and in shape.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can certainly continue after this but there are basically two possibilities here.
My first though would be bursitis of the hip which can occur without any significant trauma.
The other would be a disk problem in your lower back pressing on a nerve root and referring the pain to your hip and leg. This could happen even if you don't have much in the way of back pain.
If rest and topical capsaicin cream or BioFreeze don't let this resolve in a few days you need to have a doctor take a look and I'd get MRI's of both the hip and your lumbar spine. If it's bursitis, a cortisone injection will help