Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Recoveringrecovering from shoulder surgery of about a week…

Customer Question
recoveringrecovering from shoulder surgery of...
recoveringrecovering from shoulder surgery of about a week and I have not move my bowels in that time and all of the things that I have tried including taking a religious tablet along with the enema and stool softeners I have not produced a satisfactory bowel movement
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
5/24/2015
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

It is often the case that after surgery you may likely be on an opioid type pain medication. These are common culprits to cause constipation.

You may benefit to go lighter on the dose of your pain medicine as tolerated and to try a stimulant type GI product such as Senokot..

try two tablets of Senakot S and that may help.

You may use Miralax one dose each evening for several days if you are getting a bloated and discomfort >> the combination is more likely to help you..

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.

I will be happy to get back with you!

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor