How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32718
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Approximately 2 years ago my wife was seen by a

Customer Question

Approximately 2 years ago my wife was seen by a Chiropractor. While the Chiropractor was adjusting her back, my wife felt a sudden pain in her chest and a popping sensation. When my wife got off the table, she realized one of her ribs was sticking out approximately 1 cm. (Did not puncture the skin.) She was told to use rest and ice, and that it would be fine.
Although the pain subsided, my wife's rib never went back into place, and causes pain during any physical effort such as lifting moderately heavy weight.
Are there any treatment options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Where exactly is the rib sticking out--perhaps where it meets the spinal column?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, It sticks out of her chest. Right above her left breast.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Then it's basically dislocated at the costochondral junction--where the cartilage connects the rib to the breastbone.
The one problem here is how long it's been out of place. Usually if this is treated early on by a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--he can use local anesthesia and snap it back in place and then put her in a chest cage/rib binder for about two weeks until the rib secures itself back in its proper place.
I would still have her see a physiatrist for that treatment but since the rib has been dislocated for so long she might need surgery to wire it back in place
Let me know if you need more information
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** what I was hoping. The Chiropractor in question told us that there were no treatment options. That didn't seem right to me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, it can be treated--hopefully without surgery
Please remember to rate my service to you