Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Dr Bray Thank you response and recommendations what

Customer Question

Dr Bray Thank you for your response and recommendations what wakefulness medication do you recommend and can you write a prescription for me to try Randy
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
No we are not allowed to write prescriptions...a patient / doctor relationship must exist and be documented ..controlled substances in particular would constitute a felony violation of DEA regulations..
Over the counter you could try caffeine...If you tolerate this well you might try 200mg( vivarin or Nodoz) -- if you try that dose and still trouble you could try 400mg once or twice a day but avoid late evening and be careful of side effects...
See your doctor for consideration of Rx for Nuvigil or Provigil or Adderall...
There are several options for treatment...what I would recommend in your situation would be Provigil 200mg each AM( it is used for persisting daytime drowsiness with obstructive sleep apnea BUT OPTIMAL TREATMENT OF IS A MUST BE ENSURED FIRST!!)
I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.Best Regards
Anthony Bray MD
---
OPTIMAL TREATMENT OF OSA...( typo above)
(OSA = obstructive sleep apnea)
Trying to correct a sleep problem with a stimulant RATHER than optimal treatment with CPAP OR BIPAP would be a dis-service to you...
OSA in addition to drowsiness may cause hypertension, headaches, trouble concentrating and even heart failure....