Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was wondering if z pack is effective for sinus infection.

Customer Question
Hi, I was wondering if...
Hi, I was wondering if z pack is effective for sinus infection. I have trouble with penicillin
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Health
5/19/2015
Health Professional: Onlinedoc, General Physician replied 3 years ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
As such Z PACK(Azithromycin) can be prescribed for treatment of acute bacterial sinusitis due to H. influenzae, M. catarrhalis, or S. pneumoniae.
In case the sinus infection is due to virus antibiotics may not be helpful and not required.
The most common causes of inflammation in the sinuses are viruses that cause the common cold. Viruses are notorious for causing nasal congestion (and runny noses), and hence, inflammation of the sinuses. These nasal symptoms can take 7-10 days to resolve on their own.
I hope this helps
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I would like to add some more information to the above answer. The indication of starting the antibiotics in acute sinusitis are;

1) Symptoms lasting more than 7 days.
2) There are signs of bacterial infection in MRI or CT scan.
3) The culture test is positive.

If any of these is present Z pack can be started which is usually effective.

Following would be the usual treatment protocol of acute sinusitis;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; only if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)