How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a physical with a full body scan on Friday. I am a 54

Customer Question

I had a physical with a full body scan on Friday. I am a 54 yr old male. Smoked for 25+ yrs but quit 12 years ago. Found a 4-5mm nodule in lower right lung. I had bronchitis in March and hope its scar tissue or a lymp node. It does not seem calcified. I would like to understaqnd if I shdoul see another Doc now and have it further evaluated. if so, what type of doc should I see.?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
Why did you have the whole body scan? (What symptoms if any did you have the prompted this test)?
What did your doctor did you about these results?
Was any additional testing or treatment recommended (other than the repeat test in 6 months)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
had the whole body scan. i had no symptoms as it wad a physical, also have not seen my personal doc yet. i have a question about where to go now to have a specilist see the ct scan.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
I would assume that the scan was interpreted by a radiologist (a specialist in the interpretation of such scans).
The first logical step would be to see your personal physician. The appropriate response to any test result (including this scan) really depends on more detailed information including a complete medical history, family history, occupational history and physical examination.
That said, I do believe that most physicians would agree with the recommendation to take a conservative approach - repeating the test in 3-6 months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the doctor was not a radiologist, rather just an MD at teh physical center. He said he sees them all the time and they are usually benign.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
In that case, I would ask your personal physician to have a local radiologist re-review the scan OR refer you to a lung specialist (pulmonologist).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I obtained the radiology report from the CT scan at teh physical. I have two 6mm noldules in lower right lung lobe. I obtained a CT report from 2003 that showed two nodule sin teh right lower lobe. One was 5mm the other was 2mm. My question is, are these two the same nodules and after 12 years is there anything to worry about with respect to the nodules. One would think that with this little growth after 12 years that the risk is very low that they are malignant.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
Without a radiologist looking at both scans - I would not be able to say with 100% certainty that these are in the exact same location - HOWEVER, it does seem that these are in fact the same.
The minor difference in size over 12 years (which may be just an artifact of the change in position or scanner settings) - is VERY strong evidence that this is not anything to worry about.